State Vehicle Records

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) Consumer Access - State Vehicle Record Request Information

July 2020

Note: The District of Columbia, Hawaii, Kansas, and Vermont do not appear on this list since they do not yet have data in NMVTIS.

State Name

How to Request a State Vehicle Record


Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Alaska statutes may obtain an Alaska Motor Vehicle Record.

Complete a Request for Vehicle Record Form 851, sign and date the form, submit payment and any required documents to the Alaska DMV. There is a $10 fee for each record. Government agencies are not charged for this service.

By Mail

Division of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Research
1300 W Benson Blvd, Ste. 200
Anchorage, AK 99506-3600

By Fax (907) 269-5202

By Email

Forms URL


If you are the owner of record on the Arizona title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record (MVR):

  • Online through the motor vehicle record request service on
  • By mail using the Motor Vehicle Record Request form 46-4416
  • If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in Arizona, you may ask the vehicle owner to provide you with an Arizona MVR prior to purchase of the vehicle.

  • Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Arizona during the last 5 years may not be eligible for an MVR.
  • A Title and Registration MVR contains the following information: Owner, vehicle, lien and brand.
  • Arkansas

    Arkansas is under the federal Driver’s Privacy Act and will not give out information belonging to someone else. If you need information from when you owned the vehicle you may send in a written request along with a copy of your driver’s license to request the information.

    Your request must contain the following:

    1. Vehicle specifics such as description of vehicle, VIN, license plate number or name with address for an alpha search.
    2. Reason for requesting the information.
    3. Fees are $1.00 for owner/lien holder information and $1.00 for each copy of documents requested such as bill of sale, contracts, etc.

    Mail your request to:

    Arkansas Office of Motor Vehicles
    Records Unit, Room 1100
    P. O. Box 1272
    Little Rock, AR 72203

    If you need additional information you may contact our Information/Records Unit by phone at 501-682-4692 or by fax at 501-682-4756 or by email at


    Customer can request vehicle record information by completing a DR2489A and submitting $2.20 for the record search. Information can be found at The DR2489A can be found at


    State of Connecticut
    Dept of Motor Vehicles
    Records Information
    60 State St
    Wethersfield, CT 06161    (860) 263-5700


    To request a Motor Vehicle record:
    For Motor Vehicle information check:


    Persons eligible under the Driver Privacy Protection Act and Illinois statutes may obtain an Illinois Motor Vehicle Record.

    Inquiries about registration and title records should be directed to:

    Secretary of State
    Motor Vehicle Records Division, Record Inquiry Section
    501 S. Second St., Rm. 408
    Springfield, IL 62756
    Telephone 217-782-6992 or 217-785-3000
    Fax 217/524-0122

    Information Request Form:

    Indiana; Under the heading: Obtaining a Vehicle or Watercraft Record select Request for Certified Records – State Form 53789


    Iowa Department of Transportation
    Office of Vehicle and Motor Carrier Services
    P.O. Box 9278
    Des Moines, IA 50306-9278
    Telephone (515) 237-3110
    Fax (515) 237-3056


    Use form TC96-16G-Request for Motor Vehicle or Boat Record that Includes Personal Information-Government Agency Use Only found at Submit according to mail-in directions on form. Current record retention is five years.


    45 Commerce Drive, Suite 10
    Augusta, Maine 04330
    Phone (207) 621-2600 or (207) 512-5605
    Toll-Free (877) 212-6500
    Fax (207) 621-9950
    General Email:
    For subscriber information: 207-621-2600 x038


    Maryland motor vehicle record information may be requested by submitting an MVA Request for Record found on our website at

    Applications will need to be mailed to:
    6601 Ritchie Hwy NE
    Glen Burnie MD 21062
    Attn: Room 145 (for driving records) or Room 202 (for vehicle records)

    Instructions on how to submit the application can be found on the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration’s website at business may download the,202 (for vehicle records).

    Massachusetts Please select “Title/Lien inquiry” and follow instructions.


    Driver and vehicle records are released in compliance with Driver Privacy Protection Laws. For more information, visit the Michigan Department of State website at:

    Complete Records: Complete driver and vehicle records may be requested through the Record Lookup Unit at 517-335-6198. Records are $11 each ($12 for a certified record) and provided at no charge to government agencies.

    Form BDVR-154 is used for an individual or commercial organization requesting their own or another person’s record.
    Form BDVR-153 is used for Account holder record lookup requests.
    Form BDVR-155 is for use by governmentagencies. These forms are available on,4670,7-127-1631_11465---,00.html.

    Bulk Data: Bulk data is available through the List Sales Program. Address inquiries to
    Bulk records are record extracts (primarily header information) and do not contain driving, title or registration history.



    If you are the owner of record on the Missouri title record by completing request form 5499, Request From Record Holder form. Form and fee may be submitted by:

    • Visiting a Missouri Motor Vehicle licensing office. Office listing and business information may be found at
    • Mail: Missouri Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Bureau-Record Center, P.O. Box 2048, Jefferson City, MO 65105-2048
    • Fax (573) 526-7060
    • E-Mail

    Vehicle owner will receive documentation containing requested owner, vehicle, lien, and/or registration information; however, this documentation may not be used in place of the Missouri title for transfer of ownership. For information on obtaining a duplicate Missouri title, visit or call (573) 526-3669 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. CT.

    If you are the not owner of record on the Missouri title, Missouri record information may be requested by submitting the request form and fee for each record. If personal information is requested, the requestor will submit request for Motor Vehicle Records with Personal Information form, Form 5091. When no personal information is requested, the completion of form Request for Information, Form 4803 is required. Refer to form for fee assessment.

    Forms may be found at or

    Public Records Request Review

    Prior to release, public record requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal and state laws. DOL will either provide you with:

    • The record information you seek or notification in writing with an explanation that prevents release of the record you seek.

    New Jersey

    Businesses may access applications & obtain information through the NJMVC records website:

    Individuals may submit a written request for a variety of records

    New Mexico

    New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
    Joseph Montoya Building
    P.O. Box 1028
    1100 South St. Francis Drive
    Santa Fe 87504-1028

    Telephone 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO

    Download/fill out Confidential Records Release form

    Use this form if:
    - You would like to obtain a vehicle record
    Special Instructions: In addition to taking this form to an MVD office, this form is eligible to be faxed to (505) 827-2783 and include your name and phone number.

    North Dakota

    North Dakota vehicle record information may be requested by submitting the Request for Vehicle Information - SFN 51269. Instructions and fees are explained on the form.

    Forms can be found on the NDDOT home page web site at

    Complete and fax or mail to the fax number or mailing address provided on this form. Or email the signed completed form to .


    If you are the owner of the vehicle, you may purchase a vehicle history by downloading a Request for Vehicle Information (DL-135) from Click on “Forms and Publications”, “All Motor Vehicle Forms,Publications and FAQ’s,” and DL-135. Forms must be mailed to PennDOT for processing.

    South Carolina

    If you are a prospective buyer of a vehicle currently titled in South Carolina, you may request a SouthCarolina title history by submitting a completed Request for Vehicle Information form (Form 5027-A) to SCDMV, P.O. Box 1498, Blythewood, SC 29016-1498.

    The title history for the vehicle will include odometer information and all supporting documentation on file.The cost for the Title History is $6.00. Make checks payable to SCDMV.

    South Dakota

    Please submit to the following:


    This form must be mailed in with applicable fees. For any questions please contact


    The consumer must:

    1. Complete and sign the Request for Texas Motor Vehicle Information (Form VTR-275) located here

    2. Certify by initialing their intended use of the information on the back of the form

    3. Submit a completed and signed Form VTR-275 with a copy of the customer’s government issued photo ID, written authorization and required documentation, if applicable, by mail. Or visit a Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) Regional Service Center for assistance.

    4. Include payment ($5.75 for title history or $6.75 for a certified title history) in the form of a personal check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to TxDMV. Do not mail cash. Fees are not refundable. If the requested information will be used in legal purposes, a “certified title history” is recommended.

    To contact the department, please visit:


    If you are the owner of record on the Utah state title, you may purchase a Title and Registration Motor Vehicle Record by completing Utah form TC-890. Once completed please mail the form and payment to the address listed on the form.

    If you are not the owner, please review the other authorized reasons listed on our form. If you can meet one of the seconditions, you may be entitled to the motor vehicle information.You can obtain this form on-line at

    • Vehicles that have not been titled or registered in Utah during the last 10 years may not be eligible for are cord search.
    • The owner name, vehicle information, lien holder and any brands will be provided.


    For a Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI) on a vehicle titled in Virginia go to On DMV’s home page, go to the bottom of the page under General Information and click on Obtaining DMV Records. Once on the screen titled Obtaining DMV Records, look down the list of available transactions for Vehicle History Reports and click on the Prospective Purchaser Inquiry (PPI).


    Washington State vehicle record information may be requested by submitting a Vehicle/Vessel Public Disclosure Request form to the Department of Licensing.

    • Access the DOL home page web site at
      • Click on “Get a Form”, located in the center grey part of the home page
      • Click on “…more forms by title” then scroll down the list to find the form called “Public RecordRequest-Public disclosure
      • At the top of the form, in the first paragraph, click on the link for a complete list of public disclosure forms, Scroll down this list to the second heading titled: “Vehicle or boat information”
      • Click on the second bullet in the list called: “Vehicle Record Request”
      • Complete and email, mail, or fax as indicated on the second page of this form. Or call the Vehicle/VesselRecord Disclosure unit at (360) 359-4002 and we will mail or fax the form to you.
    • Your request will be acknowledged within five business days of receipt.

    Public Records Request Review

    Prior to release, Vehicle/Vessel public records requests are reviewed for permissible uses allowable by federal andstate laws. DOL will either provide you with:

    • The records you seek or notify you in writing with an explanation of the applicable statutory exemptions that prevent release of the records, along with an explanation of how those exemptions apply, in whole or in part.

    West Virginia

    Contact our Records Management Unit at (304) 926-3909 or go to download and complete form DMV100 “Request for Vehicle Information” and either mail or take to our Vehicle Services section at the main DMV office in Kanawha City, WV with the applicable fees


    Wisconsin vehicle record information can be requested by submitting the Vehicle/Driver Record Information Request form, MV2896 and a $5.00 fee for each record. If personal information is being requested, the form needs to have oneof the boxes checked authorizing release of personal information.

    Additional information related to privacy of WI motor vehicle records can be found at:


    If you are the owner of record on the Title, you must contact the County Clerk in the county that the title was issued to order a duplicate title. If you are the registered owner of record on the Registration, you must contact the County Treasurer in the county that the license plate and registration was issued to order a duplicate registration or replace a lost or stolen license plate.

    The County Clerk’s and County Treasurer’s telephone numbers are listed on our website at

    For a title search, we follow the Federal Privacy Disclosure Act. If you qualify, you may complete our Privacy Disclosure Agreement and pay $5.00 for each title search. The Agreement is found on our website at